Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Spiritual AND Religious

I don't think that many would disagree with the statement that the internet is an extremely sad place these days.  One thing that I see a lot of is the argument about which is better, being religious or being spiritual.

 It's amazing to me how heated and hurtful the debate about “religious vs. spiritual” can get.  I guess that I can understand that there are a lot of people out there who have been hurt by institutionalized religion, and I can understand how that could leave a sour taste in their mouths.  How could it not?  I would be lying if I pretended like there aren’t bad examples in churches throughout the world today.  There is hypocrisy.  There is an unhealthy materialism.  There is pride, greed, gluttony, and lust.  These things are real, they are problems, and they need to be dealt with.  But there are two sides to every story, and I have experienced a lot of hurt from so-called "spiritual" people about my faith, simply because I consider myself to be both spiritual and religious.  

What are the differences?  Well, there are probably more in-depth answers to this question, but I think that, in an effort to keep it simple, I will just say that spiritual people tend to have a more private idea of spirituality.  It’s all about the interior self, and it’s not about being public.  On the other hand, those who are called religious belong to an institution.  It’s more public.

Now, when I said that I consider myself to be both spiritual and religious, I meant it.  And I don’t think that I was contradicting myself, either.  In fact, it is because I am religious that I am spiritual.  And I want to make that very clear.  My religion causes my spirituality.  Not the other way around.  I have a very full prayer life, and it isn't consistent of just one or two types of prayer.  I look for God in all things:  people, animals, nature.  Even things that humans create:  architecture, art, sports, movies, music.  And I talk with Him every day.  My spirituality consists of maintaining friendships with those who are in heaven, great Saints who have walked this Earth before me.  The rules, rituals, Sacraments, rites, Traditions, prayers and communion all add to my spirituality.  They add to my relationship with Christ.  If a person is religious and not spiritual, that means that they are missing the point.  They are missing the beauty and depth of all of those symbols, signs and mysteries.  There is nothing routine about the Catholic Church.  There is nothing small or boring.  Nothing.  

My religion teaches me that there is such a thing as objective Truth.  My religion teaches me that I should behave according to certain rules.  My religion teaches me that authority is good (so long as that authority is one of love).  My religion teaches me to attend Mass on Sundays.  My religion teaches me that my faith is public.  But my religion also teaches me to have a deep, private, interior spirituality.  To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with any one of those things.  What's wrong with attending Mass?  What's wrong with loving authority figures?  What's wrong with objective Truth?  As far as I can see, nothing!

I get really sad when I see people post memes, bumper stickers, etc., that say things like, “God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts,” "Religion is for people who are going to hell.  Spirituality is for people who have already been there,” or when religious people make snarky comments about how some people pick-and-choose their religion based off of what’s comfortable.  Doesn’t your religion call you to be more than sarcastic?  Doesn’t it teach you to be kind?  Gentle?  Loving?  I’m not saying that you shouldn’t call people out, but I am saying that you should do it in a more loving way.  Without rudeness.  You should do it while protecting the dignity of those you’re helping.  Willa Wonka memes aren’t exactly the way to go.  

As I already said, there are problems in institutionalized religion today.  The Church is holy, but her people don't always do holy things.  And, while I don’t know about every religion in existence, I can tell you that the Catholic Church does not teach or encourage those things.  The Church does not promote hypocrisy.  The Church does not promote greed.  Those things are sinful and harmful.  Just because they exist doesn’t mean that they are good.  Or desired.

I encourage those of you who consider yourself to be either spiritual or religious to do me a favor and look up a Saint named St. Theresa of Avila.  Read some of her work, even if you don't fully understand it (I don't think that anyone FULLY understands it!).  Keep in mind that she was extremely religious and spiritual.  She had the rules, the tradition, all of it.  And yet, she had a spirituality like none even today.  When you read her work and learn about her life, you will see that she did suffer greatly.  But it was the Church and its structure that led her to a deep and profound spiritual life.

I can hear the voices of some saying that I'm all wrong.  I know that's what you think.  And I don't expect that this piece has done anything to change your mind about whether or not you should be spiritual, religious, or both.  What I do hope that this piece does, though, is challenge you to at least, if nothing else, stop hating one another.  This meanness that goes on between the two sides is horrible, unnecessary, and unhelpful. Try seeing what the other side has to offer before calling names, or acting like you're better than the other.  Talk to those who truly understand.  Both are good.  Both are important.  And both work together.


No comments:

Post a Comment