Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Revelation Chapter 3

Summary

This chapter picks up after having read the letters that John was to write to the angels of the Churches in Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum and Thyatira.  Now he is to write to Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.  

To Sardis, he begins differently than what is the normal pattern.  Here, is to begin not with the good, but with the bad.  Jesus says that He is aware that other places think that they (in Sardis) are alive, but really they are dead.  Basically, He says that they put on a good show, but that it isn't enough to fool God.  He warns them to be watchful, and to strengthen what good is left, because it will die if they don't.  He reminds them to remember what they heard, to keep it and to repent.  He says that he will come like a thief in the night, and that nobody will know at what time He will come.  He does acknowledge that there are those in Sardis who are pure, and blameless.  They are worthy.

He concludes this letter saying that the victor will be dressed in white, and He promises to keep their name in the book of life forever.  Their name will be acknowledged by Jesus in the presence of the Father and of the angels.  And, again, He tells them that whoever has ears should hear and remember what is said to the churches in Asia.

The next letter is to the angel of the church in Philadelphia.  He begins poetically describing Himself as "The holy one, the true, who holds the key of David, who opens and no one shall close, who closes and no one shall open."  This is the description of Jesus, who is telling the angel this news:

The people in Philadelphia have limited strength, but have not failed.  They don't deny Him.  He talks about those who call themselves Jews but who aren't at heart, and how they are members of the "Assembly of Satan."  Those people will come and fall at the feet of those in Philadelphia, and they will know that Jesus loves those who remain faithful.  Jesus promises to protect them in the coming time of trial, when the whole world will be tested.  He says that He is coming soon.  He tells them to hold what they know to be True, so that nobody will take their crown.  

He concludes this letter saying that the victor will be made into a pillar in the temple of God, and will never leave it again.  On the victor, He will inscribe the name of God and the name of the city of God, the new Jerusalem.  Finally, He again says that whoever has ears ought to hear this message.

Finally, He writes to the angel of the church in Laodicea.  He names Himself "The Amen."  His complaint about these people is that they are neither hot nor cold, but that He wishes that they were either, because lukewarm is worse.  Because they are lukewarm, He will spit them out of His mouth.  They claim that they don't need anything, but they don't see how little they have.  How much Christ can give them.  He tells them to take care of their wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked selves.  He comforts them, saying that he chastises those whom He loves, which is why He is chastising them now.  

He tells them that famous line, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock."  He is constantly asking to come into our homes and dine with us, but that we have to allow Him to enter.  The victor will sit with Him on His throne, just as He has won the victory and sits with His Father on the throne.  

He concludes, the same way, saying that anyone who has ears ought to hear.

Reflection

This chapter is so full of goodness, that it is difficult to figure out where to begin.  Jesus is hard on these people.  He would rather that they be cold in their faith than lukewarm?  That sounds strange.  He is like a thief?  Also rough.  But this chapter is full of amazing love.

Jesus just wants us to be sincere.  To be authentic.  He doesn't want us to be fake, or to lie about our faith.  He wants us, ultimately, to have integrity.

There are so many Catholics running around out there these days, who call themselves "Catholic," but openly deny the teachings of the Church.  Jesus is very clear here.  He knows who has integrity, and who doesn't.  True, the teachings of the Church aren't always popular.  Even though the teachings of the Church are always "Love," people don't always see it that way.  But Jesus does.  And He wants us to pick Him, and to pick love, instead of picking to win the popularity contest.  And He doesn't want us to do it resentfully.  He wants us to be excited by it.  He wants us to be excited to chose Him!

So, when we don't keep the teachings of the Church, we disappoint.  But God doesn't allow us to just sit back and die because of it.  No.  He is a God of Love.  And because of that, He chastises us.  He corrects us.  He points out our failures. But He does it with perfect love.  Sometimes parents correct their kids (although, not always enough times).  But sometimes parents can be too hard on their kids, without meaning to.  And sometimes parents can be abusive.  But Jesus is not abusive.  And He is not too hard.  He corrects because He wants us to be with Him.  It's a truly loving, just, and good thing to do.

A lot of times, as a Youth Minister, I think that the teens get upset when I correct them.  They don't always like being told that what they did was wrong.  Ok, that's not just a teenager thing.  That's an everybody thing.  But the sign of a good friendship, the sign of real love, is to be able to correct and love at the same time. And a person who truly loves you back will take that "chastisement" with grace, forgiveness and love.  That's how we should respond to Jesus' chastisement.  That's how we should respond to the words of friends and loved ones, who correct our behavior out of love (ehem...loved ones like, say, parents?).

Jesus is at the door of our hearts, and He knocks.  He wants in, to reside in our hearts.  But when we don't let Him in right away, it's not like He just stands outside the door, quietly knocking, waiting to come in, like He is portrayed in religious art.  No, it's more like He is outside pounding on the door, making His presence known.  And we won't experience peace until we let Him in.  It's amazing how quickly that change happens, too.  Once we allow Him to enter our hearts to live and stay.

He is a thief in the night, but He is good.  No, we don't know the hour when He will come. But we do know that He is good.  And anything He takes was never ours to begin with, but always His. 
 

Reflection Questions

1.  Where am I in my faith right now?  Am I hot, cold, or lukewarm? 
2.  How do I react when God "chastises" me?
3.  Am I true to the teachings of the Church?  How can I become true to them?  How can I have integrity?  Do I trust that God will guide me in the right direction for answers, or do I rely on my own pride to get the answers that feel good, that I want?



Revelation Chapter 3

To the angel of the church in Sardis, write this:  'The one who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars says this:  'I know your works, that you have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead.  Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God.  Remember then how you accepted and heard; keep it, and repent.  If you are not watchful, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come upon you.  However, you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; they will walk with me dressed in white, because they are worthy.

The victor will thus be dressed in white, and I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and of his angels.

Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit ways to the churches.'"

To the angel of the church in Philadelphia, write this:  "The holy one, the true, who holds the key of David, who opens and no one shall close, who closes and no one shall open, says this:  'I know your works (behold, I have left an open door - before you, which no one can close).  You have limited strength, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.  Behold, I will make those of the assembly of Satan who claim to be Jews and are not, but are lying, behold I will make them come and fall prostrate at your feet, and they will realize that I love you.  Because you have kept my message of endurance, I will keep you safe in the time of trial that is going to come to the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.  I am coming quickly.  Hold fast to what you have, so that no one may take your crown.'"

The victor I will make into a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will never leave it again.  On him I will inscribe the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God, as well as my new name.

Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"

To the angel of the church in Laodicea, write this:  "The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the source of God's creation, says this, 'I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either cold or hot.  So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.  For you say, 'I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything,' and yet you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.  I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich, and white garments to put on so that your shameful nakedness may not be exposed, and buy ointment to smear on your eyes so that you may see.  Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise.  Be earnest, therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, [then] I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.  I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne.

Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment