Thursday, January 10, 2013

"Of the Week's"

My Dog and My God
On Friday, I babysat my niece.  My sister brought her over to my house early in the morning, and she was here until about 6:00 pm that night.  It was fun.  I like babysitting my niece, especially at my house.  My dog, though, is not such a fan!  He was jealous and worried all day.  He actually ended up getting a lot of my attention that day, but could he speak, he'd tell you that wasn't true.  He's an all-or-nothing kind of creature.
Throughout the Old Testament, we hear about how God is a jealous God.  People often think that this is contradictory to what is later said about God, that "God is love" (1 John 4:8).  But it's because God is jealous that He is love.  God is not jealous of us; He is jealous for us.  Just like my dog, God isn't satisfied unless we are completely His, not just mostly or slightly His.

Bible Verse of the Week 
Last night, at Confirmation, my boss told the teens, "You don't have to be perfect, but you have to be holy."  I think it's interesting that he said that when this is the Bible verse of the week!
 
"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written 'Be holy as I am Holy.'" - 1 Peter 1:15-16

Saint Quote of the Week:   
"Christ said, 'I am the Truth,' He did not say, 'I am the custom'" - St. Toribio

Prayer of the Week:  
 All I'm going to say about this prayer is that it is crazy intense!  And I love that about it!
O Lord my God, help me to be obedient without reserve, poor without servility, chaste without compromise, humble without pretense, joyful without depravity, serious without affectation, active without frivolity, submissive without bitterness, truthful without duplicity, fruitful in good works without presumption, quick to revive my neighbor without haughtiness, and quick to edify others by word and example without simulation.

Grant me, O Lord, an ever-watchful heart that no alien thought can lure away from You; a noble heart that no base love can sully; an upright heart that no perverse intention can lead astray; an invincible heart that no distress can overcome; an unfettered heart that no impetuous desires can enchain.  

O Lord my God, also bestow upon me understanding to know You, zeal to seek You, wisdom to find You, a life that is pleasing to You, unshakable perseverance, and a hope that will one day take hold of You.

May I do penance here below and patiently bear your chastisements.  May I also receive the benefits of your grace, in order to taste your heavenly joys and contemplate your glory.
Amen. 
Video of the Week:  
This is just plain funny.  Nothing else.  Just funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCoD-TELD0A
 

2 comments: