Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Of the Week's"



My Dog and My God
This week I decided to re-arrange my bedroom.  My bed was over one of the vents in my room, and I have never liked that.  Because of this, my room was usually much colder than necessary, and I was always irrationally afraid that my bed would catch fire (I said it was irrational!).  My dog could not figure out what I was doing, but what's worse is that he could not figure out what I had done afterwards.  The first night after I moved my furniture, he sat up and stared at everything for what seemed like hours.  To tell you the truth, it was quite frustrating.  I realized, though, that sometimes God does the same thing to us.  He rearranges our lives in even the tiniest ways, but for important reasons.  Change is scary and frustrating.  But God is good.  Trusting in God is always best.  It saves a lot of stress in the long run!

Bible Verse of the Week 
I did what I rather hate in order to pick this week's Bible verse:  Bible Roulette.  To be honest, I don't really recommend it.  But I did it anyway.  I really liked this verse, not just because it uses the word "stouthearted," which made me feel kind of like a hobbit (it just seems like a word they'd use), but because of the great joy and faith that is in this verse.  I believe I shall enjoy the Lord's goodness in the land of the living!  Yes!  What a hopeful message!

Psalm 28:11-14 – "Lord, show me your way; lead me on a level path because of my enemies.  Do not abandon me to the will of my foes; malicious and lying witnesses have risen against me.  But I believe I shall enjoy the Lords goodness in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the Lord!"

Saint Quote of the Week:   
Saint Francis of Assisi is amazing.  He's definitely one of my favorites.  This felt like such a good message, considering we just celebrated the New Year.  What Saint Francis left out was the part about sticking to it!  You want to become a great Saint like Saint Francis?  Don't stop doing this great advice!

Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible” – Saint Francis of Assisi

Prayer of the Week:  
My prayer for the week is one that I have decided to be my prayer for the whole year!  It's a challenging prayer, to say the least!  But I think that 2013 could be a great year of growing in my faith because of this prayer!  I encourage all of you to do the same!

Father, I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will.  Whatever you may do, I thank you:  I am ready for all, I accept all.  Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures.  I wish no more than this, O Lord.  Into your hands I commend my soul; I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself, to surrender myself into your hands, without reserve, and with boundless confidence, for you are my Father.  Amen.

Video of the Week:  
I saw this movie recently and even though it disappointed me in many ways, I thought that this commentary was very appropriate!  If you have seen this movie, listen to what Father Robert Barron has to say about it's Catholicity!  If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do, simply because of the amazing Catholic themes presented in it.  

Father Robert Barron comments on the movie "The Hobbit."  Careful, though!  There are spoilers!
"Evil is always trying to implant itself in the world.  And your job is to battle it....Very often people think you battle it through power, when in fact...the best way to battle it is through simple acts of love and kindness."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJH9VOmXRG4

No comments:

Post a Comment