Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Spiritual Inertia


It's scientific.  An object in motion tends to stay in motion, and an object at rest tends to stay at rest.  It's a law of science called inertia.
 
Physics has never been my strong suit, but this was something that made sense to me.  An object that is sitting still isn't going to start moving unless something happens to it.  There has to be a change.  A pencil sitting on a desk isn't going to move on its own.  The desk needs to fall.  The wind needs to blow.  A person needs to pick it up.  It's going to take another action, and that action is going to require energy. 

This may be a law of physics, but it seems to be a spiritual law as well.  For so much of this year, many of us have been at rest.  Rest is a good thing when it is a good thing.  We require rest.  However, most of us have not been experiencing a refreshing rest.  Sadly, most of us have been experiencing sloth.  We are still.  We are stuck.  Getting us to move is going to take a LOT of energy.

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not accusing.  Well, I suppose I might be.  But I can accuse because I understand it so well because I am in the exact same boat.  The lazier I become, the more lazy I get.  It spirals.  

I know that when I have experienced a very fruitful and productive spiritual life, laziness is not attractive.  It's harder to settle down.  Why?  Inertia.  An object in motion tends to stay in motion.

But this year, my body has been less active.  My brain has been less active.  My soul has been less active.  It's getting harder and harder to move.  An object at rest tends to stay at rest.
 
Right now, it's hard to get active, but it's a fight that we really need to have.  Remember, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13).  Ask God to give you the strength to get back to Church, to go to Reconciliation, to attend Youth Ministry, to read your Bible, to pray your rosary.  Get started.  Do the work.  You'll be glad you did.  

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment