Friday, November 29, 2013

World Youth Day - Day 11 (Beach, Ipanema, Bus to Airport)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We woke up at 6:15 this morning in order to eat breakfast right when the doors for breakfast opened.   The teens were determined to swim at the beach one day.  They got done eating and headed for the beach only to discover that the beach is really cold at 7:00 am.  Go figure!  None of them wanted to get in the water right away.

They made designs in the sand and finally got to swim.  I didn't want to swim because it was cold and I was tired and I didn't want to pack a wet swim suit, so I didn't swim.  I think that was a good choice.

They are so funny.  They found a dead fish and snuck up on me and scared me with it.  I was so out of it that I didn't really react at first.  I thought that it was a squirt toy!  They actually played with that dead fish for a while, too.  Gross.


It was a fun time at the beach.  

We got to go back to the hotel and shower.  I was really looking forward to a nice hot shower, but the hotel's water heater broke.  Of course.  So I had another cold shower.  But at least there was some more privacy now.  We went shopping one last time, because everybody had money to spend.  We went to one little store, and then we past the church that had the pilgrimage cross and the icon of Mary in it. There was only a small group with us at that time, but those of us who were there got to go in and get up close with the cross.  We entered the church while mass was being said, so we had to wait until the end of mass, but at the end, the priest gave us a special blessing!  The people were really excited that we were there!  It was a really special moment for sure!

The Icon of Mary





This was inside the church that had the pilgrimage cross

This was the name of the church:  Nossa Senhora da Paz
 We went back to the hotel to finish packing and check out, and as Christa and I were leaving our room, I realized that I didn't have my cell phone.  After all that time of carefully keeping it with me, I was so afraid that I'd lose it here.  Now.  In the safest place that it's been this entire journey!  But, it turned out, that my suitcase was on top of it.  So that was stupid!  I was so tired at this point.  Anything could happen!

Our entire group got to go to lunch in Ipanema, while we left our bags in the hotel to wait for the bus.  I actually ate Subway for lunch, which was quite delicious!  I also had a milk shake from McDonalds.  Yep, that's right.  Good ole' American food in Brazil!  Yum!

We went back to the church with the pilgrimage cross, so the whole group could see it.  I was amazed by a little old lady in a wheel chair who came up to me, took my hand, and tried telling me something in Portuguese.  I don't know what she said, but whatever it was, it was good!  For some reason she really loved me.  I can't tell you why!  It was a really special moment for me! 

Father Chris, goofing off outside the church with the pilgrimage cross
I just thought this tree was cool looking
The whole tree is root
I'm so tired!
We went back to the hotel.  Even though we had to check out of our rooms, they gave us permission to use the pool room upstairs, on the 17th floor.  I loved this room.  It had all sorts of windows, it looked out on Ipanema Beach, and it was just perfect.  I could have stayed up there for a long time. 

The view from the 17th floor



The view of the beach from the 17th floor
We settled in to have one last mass in Brazil, in this amazing room with this amazing view.  To be honest, I have no idea what Father Chris' homily was about, what the readings were about, or anything like that.  And it's not because they weren't interesting or good, it's just because it was so overwhelming.  Our journey was about to end.  We were in this beautiful room, with this beautiful view, with these people with whom we had come so far and suffered so much, and it was about to end.  It felt good and bad, all at the same time.  It was impossible to take it all in. 


Nate doing the readings for Mass

At the end of Mass, Father Chris acknowledged Trevor for his amazing work, protecting us during the Vigil.  It was a really beautiful moment for everyone, I think, not just Trevor.

The group presented Richard and me with a flag that they all signed, and a note, thanking us for making this trip possible.  It's hanging in the Youth Room now.  It was really sweet of everyone to do this for us! 


Our bus came to get us from the hotel, and again, I thought I lost my cell phone on the 17th floor.  It turned out that someone took it for me, but they didn't tell me right away.  

The bus seemed like it was lost.  And it hit a car.  I thought we would never get to the airport.  We had to pick up two other groups, too.  I was starting to get really worried, because I needed to get home!

We had a lot of fun on that bus ride, though.  Even though we were worried that it was taking so long (and the rumors were that after WYD, you stay in line at the airport for six hours!), we found ways to entertain ourselves.  It's amazing what a can of bug spray and a flip flop sandal can do.  We discovered one way that this trip changed us:  it made us more simple.  We were so entertained just by watching a can of bug spray roll down the aisle and over the flip flop, which maybe wouldn't have been as entertaining before.  But, who am I kidding?  It was fun! 

They were trying to get me to make my mad face, but I couldn't do it on cue!
Still trying to get my mad face
Still no mad face
Still no mad face

Still no mad face
Sand castles in the sand (Good ole' How I Met Your Mother Reference!)

Giving up on making mad face

Arriving at the airport after something like three hours on the bus was a huge relief.  The lines were not bad at all. We made it through and got to the gate rather quickly.  As we were making our way through security, I said a phrase that I thought I'd never say.  And I said it with great sincerity and enthusiasm:  "I am going to be so relieved to get on that plane!"  I said it without thinking.  It seems that World Youth Day cured me of my fear of flying!  

We bought some food at the airport (Pringles, which cost $13 American dollars!  Yikes).  I used the very last of my money buying some snack food.  Literally, I had no bills to bring home.  Oh well.  I needed that food!

We got on the plane to head home.  I ate my ravioli as quickly as possible, and fell asleep with my plate on my food tray.  When I woke up, it was gone.  I must have fallen asleep so fast and so hard that I didn't even notice when they took it.  

I still didn't sleep well on the plane, but who can?  I was excited to be heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment