Saturday, August 3, 2013

World Youth Day - Day 7 (Stations of the Cross)

Friday, July 26, 2013

This was my favorite day!  I've been excited to finally get to day 7, to tell what happened here!

Running out of water for showers, flushing toilets, and brushing teeth had become routine at this point.  Carrying flashlights around with you in the accommodations was just what you did.  We weren't surprised anymore when it happened.  In fact, we had come to expect it.

We started the day by grabbing our breakfast kits, and taking off to go to Rio!  We skipped out on catechesis at the place we were supposed to have it so that we could hear Cardinal O'Malley speak at the American Center.  Richard had to leave to take a teen to replace his credentials that were lost.  There I was, alone with the group again.  But at least this time I had Father Chris with me, and one of our adults had her phone, so I let Richard have mine, so we could be in contact.  Those things helped.  Even though we weren't sure that we were going to the vigil, we knew that if we did, we wanted to make sure that everyone could get in.

Guaravita Juice that the locals love.  I didn't love it.


I didn't really listen to Cardinal O'Malley, because I wanted to take notes about other things we'd done up until this point, and this was the only time I had to do it.  I know that, like Archbishop Charles from South Africa, and Archbishop Aquila from Denver, Cardinal O'Malley spoke about the Rich Young Man.  Was that a coincidence, or were they instructed to teach about that?  I really couldn't tell.  

When we arrived at the American Center, where we weren't supposed to be, it was crowded past capacity, so we were told we'd have to sit outside and watch the screens out there.  But then a member of our group went to talk to someone and got us into an overflow room.  I started writing in my journal, when a bunch of helicopters started flying around.  We thought that they were watching Pope Francis as he drove around the city.  Although we have no proof of that fact, I know that is what was going on.  He had apparently driven by the American Center just before we arrived there.  

We were watching the helicopters, wishing that he'd drive by again, when I noticed that confessions were going on in a different part of the room.  There was no line or wait.  In fact, many of the priests were just sitting there.  I knew that I should go to confession, and now was the opportune time to do it.  So, I started to do an examination of conscience.  I was pacing back and forth as I prayed, which was very concerning to the priest who was directing people for confessions.  He asked me if I was alright.  Of course I was, but I don't think he really believed me.

I finally felt prepared to go to confession, and I had the best confession of my life!  The priest was amazing.  I felt like he really understood me, like he really cared.  We didn't just talk about my sins, but about my life in general.  I saw something in that priest, something that surprised me.  I know that every time you go to confession you are talking with a priest who is In Persona Christi, but I still always feel like I'm talking to some priest.  I know I'm not, but I feel like I am.  Well it was different this time.  I felt like I was literally talking to Jesus.  There was no mask there.  I saw Jesus.  I met Him.  And it was amazing.

My penance?  How ironic.  My penance was to be joyful.  Considering the bad attitude I had all week, it was very appropriate.  That's what I had been missing!  It was so clear!  After I left that Reconciliation, I was like a changed person!  It was the best feeling in the world!  I was free, and it was good!

We had mass with Cardinal O'Malley.  Everyone in our group got lunch at the American Center as I spoke with the American Embassy about the Vigil, Mass, and our accommodations.  I told them about how we were not feeling very safe in our accommodations, and how we were concerned about the safety of the vigil.  The lady informed me that there was talk that they'd be canceling the vigil entirely due to safety concerns, and that the mass was being moved to 4:45 pm.  That would have solved our group's problems, that is for sure!

She was incredibly helpful to us, and we were very appreciative of all that we did.  It made all of our decisions so much easier!  Now it looked like we could go to the vigil, but if things got dangerous, we would have a place to go.  That sounded like a good plan to most of us!

We made our way to meet up with Richard, where we had a little bit of time to eat a bigger meal and do some shopping.  I ate at a place called Big Bob's.  There were a bunch of stands selling things.  I had less than ten minutes to get in, find some souveniers, and get back to the group.  Somehow, I managed to do all of that and go pray in an Adoration tent that had a relic of Padre Pio!  That was great! 

We also had a little bit of time to stop in a Franciscan Monastery that was just about the most beautiful place I'd ever seen!  Somehow I started feeling dizzy again, but that feeling didn't last for very long.  

It was all gold inside the Monastery!

The ceiling

We took too long at the Monestary, and had to rush to the Stations of the Cross.  This was the first time I got a glimpse of Pope Francis.  Well, I saw the roof of his car, but I was still very close!  Some of our group saw him!

Like Zacchaeus, people waited in trees to get a glimpse of the Pope!


I had a lot of fun at the Stations of the Cross, but I hardly focused on the stations at all.  I felt joyful, and I wanted to celebrate that!  I spent more money here than I did the rest of the time!  I bought candy and popcorn and I ate it and enjoyed it!  It was fabulous!  
CHOCOLATE!!!!!
I had been irritated at the Opening Ceremonies because people were joking around and not taking it seriously, and here I was, doing the same thing at the Stations of the Cross.  I realized, of course, that maybe I had been too harsh.  I realized that I was too quick to judge before.  

Our group, reading along with the Stations of the Cross
We got our stuff blessed by Pope Francis here!  Several people from home gave us stuff to get blessed by him, too! 


Getting their religious items blessed!
We left a little early, just in time to beat the crowds.  It was amazing to me to see how skilled we became at getting home.  On the first night, we got stuck in Rio.  On the next night, we got lost in Niteroi.  On the next night, we got locked out of the school.  And on this night, we made it home with no problems!  It was a miracle if I've ever seen one!

The subways were crazy packed!  Always!
Things were looking up.  I actually had fun on this day.  Real, actual fun.  It's amazing what happens to a person when they meet Jesus!  It changes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment