Saturday, May 16, 2015

Giving Thanks



You never know.

I have problems sometimes, feeling sorry for myself.  It’s true.  If you read my blog regularly (especially recently), you’ve probably picked up on this sad truth.

The problem that I have is that I have done and frequently do things for people that they never know about.  My actions go unnoticed, and though I don’t do those things for attention, I still manage to get hurt.  In fact, sometimes I’d be down-right horrified if some people found out about some of the things that I’ve done for them without their knowledge.  Yet, resentment still seeps its way into my life.

Resentment is ugly on every person who wears it.

I am not alone.  What have others done for me that has gone unnoticed?  Unappreciated?  Unloved?  I obviously have no way of guessing this, since they are actions that have been kept hidden from me. 

How many things has God given me that I haven’t appreciated?   Or seen?  I could not list the things.  I have heard people ask the question, “What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?”

$3.50 on Etsy - What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

It’s a powerful question.  It really puts into perspective how much more I need to give thanks go God!

Now, I know it’s kind of my “thing” to question sayings and clichés that people say a lot, and so I don’t want you to think that I am saying that this idea is wrong or bad.  But it’s impossible.  God gives us so much, and we have NO WAY to properly thank Him for all of it.  But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. We should simply acknowledge, as we do, that our thanks are insufficient and inadequate.  He knows that to be true.  He doesn’t need our thanks to be perfect.  He needs them to be sincere.  And that, friends, IS itself perfect thanksgiving.

The good news is the God does not feel resentment.  He loves us, even when we can’t, don’t or won’t properly thank Him.  When you start to feel resentment for your actions that go unseen, remember that God sees them, and that He has paid you with blessings you did not earn.  And give Him thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment